Monday, September 12, 2011

Southern Fried Chicken Liver

Happy Chuseok everyone. I really wanted to make some songpyeon for today's occassion but I wasn't able to. To my credit, I really did make an attempt, too many attempts in fact. I tried not once or twice but a total of five failed attempts at making songpyeon. Can you imagine that??? I was really disappointed...and I still am but what can I do? I ried until I got so tired of mixing, shaping, steaming, and testing...all of them were epic failures though but that is not going to deter me. I will try again...as soon as I find some frozen rice flour. The only problem that I can think of is the rice flour that I used...I used the unfrozen one. Hahaha! to think that I was even contemplating of soaking my own rice and grinding it to make some rice flour...that is not a bad idea though...

So, as a consolation for my songpyeon failure, I fried some southern fried chicken livers. This is one of my favorite dish...simple and easy to make...reminds me of my other adoptive home- the Great Ol' South- Springfield, Tennessee...so close to the country music capital of the world. Ha! that brings back so many good memories. I cannot believe it has been over 10 years since I moved to the West Coast. The South will always have a special place in my heart... a place that I can call my second home after Pinas, of course. Reminds me of the places and people that I have met while living there for alost 8 years.a Place that reminds me of friends and frienships that I have made along the way...some of whom I still keep in contact with... that is partly thanks to Facebook :) Ahhh...the great South, how I miss thee sometimes. Who knows, maybe someday I will find the courage to pack up and move back...who knows, right?



Ingredients:

1 Lb chicken livers
2 eggs,slightly beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup flour
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
oil for frying

1. Heat oil in a deep pan until very hot, about 350-375F.
2, Rinse and dry chicken livers.
3. In a small bowl, mix eggs and buttermilk, set aside.
4. In another bowl, mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and flour. Mix well.
5. Take one chicken liver and dunk in the buttermilk-egg mixture. Make sure that you coat every surface.
6. Dredge chicken livers with flour, shake out the excess.Do the same with the rest of the chiken livers.
7. Fry chicken livers in a hot oil. NOTE: Make sure you use splash screen to prevent oil from splattering all over you and you stove area. Also be very careful as the oil is very hot.
8. Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy.
9. Use a tong or metal colander to take chicken livers out of the hot oil.
10. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
11. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with hot sauce or, in my case, sriracha sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment