Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Orange and Pistachio in Orange Blossom Water

Ahhh...what a wonderful morning... is what I am hoping *crashes back down to the land of the living and my reality*... hehehe... had to wake up early today because I have so much to do and too many errands to take care of. I really need to get moving again so I thought I would start my day by walking a little bit...whew easier said than done especially when it is humid. After all that sweating and walking, I need something to refresh me and get me ready to face this day. I like this dish because it does not involve any cooking. Its my take on grapefruit breakfast except that I am using oranges instead of grapefruit. To me, they are the same. Both are rich in Vitamin C although some studies have suggested that grapefruit can help you lose weight. Hmmm, does it? I have no idea. Personally, I prefer oranges better in terms of taste. Grapefruit tends to to have a bitter taste, or is it just me? Even pink grapefruit does taste slightly bitter to me. Not for lack of trying, believe me I have tried plenty and they all taste bitter. Maybe I just have not found a sweet grapefruit yet. Anyways, I still think oranges taste better...hehehe...


I am using orange blossom water as a "dressing" which I purchased from monieur Marcel at the the farmer's market in Third and Fairfax yeaterday. Orange blossom water are made from Seville orange blossoms which are left to steep for 2-3 weeks. Who has the time to do this? I would probably do it if I have access to orange blossom but since I don't, I bought some ready made orange blosson instead. Orange blosson water is commonly used in Persian and Arabic cooking.

Ingredients:
2 oranges
2 Tbsp pistachio, shelled and chopped roughly
1 Tbsp orange blossom water

1.Peel oranges using a knife to remove skin and pith. NOTE: You can save the skin (without the pith or the white part) to be used in another dish if you wish.
2. Slice into 1/2 an inch thickness. Try to save some of the juice that have accumulated while slicing the oranges.
3. Combine juice and orange blossom water and pour it over the sliced oranges.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the refrigerator and sprinkle chopped pistachio on top.



Adapted from The Three Ingredients Cookbook by Jenny White

No comments:

Post a Comment