This dish is traditionally eaten as a "pulutan" or accompaniments for alcoholic beverages but I like to eat it with rice. It can also be considered as an appetizer. This is a simple and straightforwar dish which needs fresh ingredients in order for it totaste yummy. I love spicy food so I added Thai chili pepper. The only cooking that is involved in this dish is blanching the squid then the rest just involve slicing, dicing, and mixing. I used jumbo squid for this recipe but it can easily be substituted with regular ones. I was originally thinking of grilling this jumbo squid but changed my mind at the last minute because it was too darn hot outside...grilled squid will have to wait another day, I guess.
NOTE: To prepare the squid in this recipe, you need to remove all the insides out then clean the squid well, take out the outer skin surface and the backbone. To clean the tentacles, cut and discard everything from the eyes down, You also need to cut one side of the tube so you are able to lay it flat on the cutting board then score it lightly and diagonally.
1 jumbo squid or 1 lb regular squid, cleaned (see note above)
2 medium vine-ripened tomato, diced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2-3 inch sized ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
3-4 Thai chili pepper, sliced diagonally
NOTE: If you don't want it too spicy, remove and discard seed from chili pepper
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 key lime, sliced thinly
1/3 cup vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare a bowl with cold water and ice cubes, set aside.
2. Boil water in a pan. Once it starts boiling, drop the squid and cook for about 1 minute then turn heat off, drain water and submerge the squid in cold water with ice for 2 -3 minutes. Drain and slice thinly (about 1/2 x 2 inches).
3. Place sliced squid in a bowl.
4. Add sliced tomato, onions, ginger, garlic, and Thai pepper.
5. Add lime juice, lemon juice, and vinegar. Mix well.
6. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper according to taste.
7. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes or until ready to eat.