Pandan and coconut are two ingredient combination that I really like because I think they both go well together. Today, I made a crepe and filling combination using the two ingredients and it turned out really good. The dish is sticky, sweet, and overall yummy. The color turned out really nice as well. Reminds me of cotton candy ...hehehe
The filling is actually based on a Filipino sweet snack known as "bukayo" which is made of shredded young coconut, cooked in sugar syrup, and allowed to thicken. That sweet snack is either served with the syrup still wet or dried and has formed into a flat, soft round disks which looks similar to a cookie. No matter which was that snack is served, it still taste really good. Ahhh, home...how I miss thee! And to think that it has not been that long since I last came back from a visit to the Philippines. But, as they always say, there is no place like home.
Anyways, back to the dish, The crepes uses a basic crepe recipe but made special with the addition of pandan extract. Pandan just makes it smell really fragrant as well as taste better in my opinion :)
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp pandan extract
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp butter, melted
a pinch of salt
1 drop of green food coloring (optional)
1. Place slightly beaten eggs in a large bowl. Add flour and mix until slightly incorporated (Batter, at this point will be very thick)
2. Mix milk, pandan extract, and water in a separate container.
3. Drizzle milk mixture slowly into the flour mixture while whisking it. Mix until incorporated. (notice that the batter will be thin at this point)
4. Add salt and butter and mix well. Add optional green food coloring, if desired. NOTE: Add just enough to achieve the desired color.
5. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain mixture to remove solid or undissolved ingredients. (This step is important so the batter will be smooth and free from lumps)
6. Heat crepe or frying pan over medium heat.
7. Lightly spray pan with Pam spray or lightly oil it.
8. Take 1/4 cup of the batter and place it on the pan. Spread it around using a swirling motion. Make sure to spread it as thin as possible.
8. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until the edges starts to come off the pan and slightly golden in color.
9. Repeat until all of the batter has been used up.
Sweetened Coconut Filling:
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add water and sugar and stir to dissolve.
3. Simmer until slightly thickened then add coconut.
4. Stir to mix and let it simmer until the sugar has thickened.
5.Remove from heat and let it cool.
1. Take 1 Tbsp of filling and place it in the middle of the crepe then roll tightly.
2. Repeat until all crepes has been filled.
3. Top with remaining filling and serve.