Friday, June 1, 2012

Fried Egg, Ricotta Cheese, and Wild Arugula Open-faced Sandwich

Yet another sandwich post...Whay can I say? I love their easy preparation and convenience in eating.  They can be portable and eaten on the go when you are busy. They are also very easy to prepare and can be multiplied easily if you have to feed a small army.  They handy when you are in a rush and do not have time to prepare an elaborate meal.  They can either be dressed down or up depending on your mood :)


 I am also using wild arugula for this sandwich since I still have some arugula left over from my recent purchase at the Whole Foods.  They are fabulous in salad or used as green in sandwiches.  They a little more peppery than regular arugula which I really like.  This is the first dish that I have used ricotta with parmigiano reggiano and arugula since I usually use either blue cheese or goat in combination with other two ingredients.  Surprisingly they go well together considering that it is a lot milder in taste than blue or goat cheeses.



This recipe is not an original recipe but it is from this website.  Of course I have modified the recipe to suit my own taste and preference but I will post the original recipe. Coincidentally, I have also found a few sandwich recipes from this site as well as its affiliate websites that I am very interested in trying so be on the lookout for them in the coming days.  This and the rest of the sandwiches featured in that website are all easy to prepare with ingredients that are easy to find.  

To be honest, I've been eating this same sandwich for breakfast three days in a row.  The reason is not because I couldn't get the recipe right but because I could not get the pictures to come out the way I want them to.  So for the past three days, I have been preparing this same sandwich, photographing it, and then have it for breakfast... I do not mind, of course, since this is a great sandwich...hehehe... this batch of pictures is much better than the previous two batches...Ughhh, I really need to read that book that I purchased on how to take better food photography to improve my techniques. I am too lazy to read at times though... wish it comes in audio book format...



Ingredients:

4 slices of whole-wheat bread (I used bagel)
cooking spray
2 cups wild arugula
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp freshly grounf black pepper, divided
4 large eggs
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1 tsp thyme, chopped

1. Preheat broiler or toaster oven

2. Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray and broil for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted.

3. Combine arugula, 2 tsp EVOO, lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss gently.

4.  Heat remaining EVOO in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Crack eggs into pan and cook for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional two minutes or until egg whites are set.  Remove from heat.

5. Combine 1/4 tsp salt, ricotta, parmigiano reggiano, and thyme.  Spread over bread slices.  Divide salad and egg and place evenly over the bread.  Sprinkle remaining 1/8 tsp salt and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper over the eggs.

6. Serve immediately.

Recipe source: cooking light

No comments:

Post a Comment