Sunday, March 28, 2010
Hoddeok (Korean Sweet Pancake)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp walnuts or pecans, chopped
1-2 Tbsp honey
1. Mix lukewarm water, sugar, salt, vegetable oil and yeast and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
2. addflour and mix well.
3. mix ingredients for filling and set aside.
4. cover with plastic wrap and let it rise ( about 1 hour)
5. After 1 hour, the size should have doubled, knead to remove air bubble.
6. cover again and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
7. after 20 minutes, knead dough and divide into 6-8 equal portions.
8. take 1 dough ball portion and flatten in your palm. Fill the center with about 1 Tbsp of filling then seal. do the same with the rest of the dough balls.
9. heat oil in a pan and fry hoddeok for about 30 seconds then turn over and flatten using a spatula . fry until light golden brown . do the same thing with the other side.
** for the filling, you can experiment with whatever filling you want, eg. cheeses or fruit fillings
*** I spray a little bit of Pam non-stick spray on my hand when kneading and forming the dough into a ball to prevent it from sticking into my hands, less messy that way.