Thursday, March 25, 2010
Sam Gye Tang ( Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup)
Sam Gye Tang (Ginseng Chicken Soup)
1 whole chicken, cleaned
10 pieces dried jujube ( daechu)
4-5 pieced dried chestnuts
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
1/4 cups sweet or sticky rice
1. wash and then pat dry your chicken, trim off excess fat ( I usually buy my chicken from the Korean market since it is smaller and leaner)
2. stuff the cavity with sweet rice ( Uncooked) , garlic and chestnuts.
3. place stuffed chicken in a large pan and fill with enough water to cover the chiken.
4. add the chestnuts, garlic, ginseng and jujube.
5. set the stove to medium heat and bring to a boil. After 30 minutes or so, skim the fat off the top and continue boiling.
6. boil for another 20-30 minutes more, check the chicken to make sure it is done ( the flesh falls off the bone easily)
7. serve with salt and pepper.
*** You can buy Sam Gye Tang kit from the korean market.
*** serve with kkakdugi ( Radish Kimchi)