Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Baechu Kimchi ( Fermented Napa Cabbage)
10 cups of water
2 heads of Napa Cabbage, cut in half
1 cup salt
2 cups Kochukaru ( korean hot pepper flakes)
1 cup carrots, julienned
1 cup radish,julienned
1/2 cup onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup scallions, coarsely chopped
1. Wash cabbage thoroughly and drain
2. Combine water and salt in a large bowl. Add cabbage, making sure that it is completely submerged in salt water and soak for 2-3 hours
3. After soaking, remove cabbage from salt water and rinse in cold water then drain. Squeeze out excess fluid then set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
5. Coat cabbage with the seasoning, making sure that every leaves is well coated.
6. Pack in an airtight plastic or jar container. Stor in a cool place to allow it to ferment ( 2-3 days). Can also be eaten fresh if you want.