8 eggs, separate yolks from whites
16 oz condensed milk
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 T unsalted butter
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. combine eggyolks and condensed milk in a double broiler.
3. cook until thick, stir constantly
4. add lemon extract and butter then set aside.
5. in a separate bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat to soft peaks.
6. gradually add sugar, continue beating.
7. stir in vanilla.
8. line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and butter. Spread meringue over the paper.
9. bake for about 10-15 minutes. make sure you watch closely as this could burn easily.
10. remove from oven and loosen paper lining.
11. while hot , spread filling evenky on top.
12. roll up jelly roll fashion and chill.
13. slice and serve.
NOTE: for presentation, you may dust with powdered sugar. It is also wise to invest in a good mixer. beats beating eggwhite manually....hehehehe