Sunday, April 4, 2010
Kkakdugi ( Radish Kimchi)
1 ( about 1.5- 2 lbs) Korean radish, cut into about 1 inch cube
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp salt
5 scallions, sliced diagonally into 2 inches
1/2 cup Kochukaru ( korean pepper flakes)
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp ginger, chopped finely
5 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2 Tbsp sweet rice flour
1/2 cup water
1. Add sugar and salt to radish . Mix well leave for about 4 hours. after 4 hours, drain any liquid that has accumulated. set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, mix sweet rice flour and water and heat over low to medium heat.
Keep a close eye and keep stirring until the mixture thickens to a pancake batter consistency. remove from heat and set aside to cool
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix ingredients for the sauce ( Kochukaru, fish sauce, sweet four mixture, ginger and garlic) . Mix well.
4. Add radish and scallions and mix well until the radish is well coated with the sauce.
5. store in a plastic or bottle container with tight lid and let it ferment at room temperature for about 36 hours. After 36 hours, refrigerate.
*** I am not really comfortable leaving any food out so i kept mine in the fridge.