3-4 bunches ( about 9-12 pieces) Chonggak ( Korean Ponytail Radish)
1/2 cup salt
2 Tbsp sweet rice flour
1/2 cup water
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 oz. ginger, finely chopped
3 scallions, sliced diagonally into 1 inch length
1 Tbsp Kanari ( Korean fish sauce)
1/2 cup Kochukaru ( Korean pepper flakes)
3 korean chili pepper, sliced thinly
1. Fill a large pan with cold water and rinse radish with greens still attached. Make sure to clean it well to remove dirt.
2. Drain well . Peel skin and trim off rotten leaves.
3. Sprinkle salt on radish and greens making sure everything is evenly salted.
4. Leave in a cool place for 2 hours then rinse and drain well. set aside.
5. In a small saucepan, mix sweet rice flour and water. Heat over low to medium heat . Keep a close eye and keep stirring until the mixture thickens to a pancake batter consistency. Remove from heat and cool.
6. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients for the sauce ( Kochukaru, fish sauce, sweet rice flour mixture, ginger, garlic) Mix well
7. Add radish and scallions. Mix well until everything is coated with the sauce.
8. Store in a plastic or glass container with tight lid. Let it stand on room temperature for 36 hours. After 36 hours, refrigerate.
*** I kept mine in the fridge immediately since I am not comfortable leaving any food out.