Tuesday, August 16, 2011
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 whole lemon
3/4 cup sugar
4 + 1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1. In a small sauce pan, add 1 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar.Heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let it cool. Set aside.
2. Using a small grater, grate zest from lemon. (NOTE: do not include the white part). Place lemon zest and mint leaves in a small bowl and crush using a muddler but don't bruise the mint leaves too much because it will make it taste bitter. Set aside.
3. Using a juicer, extract juice from 4 lemons.
4. Add 1 cup lemon juice, 4 cups of water, sugar syrup (#1), and lemon zest-mint miture(#2). Stir to mix well. Place in refrigerator to chill for a few hours.
5. When ready to serve, strain the zest and mint leaves from the lemonade. Serve in a tall glass with ice. Garnish with lemon slices and mint sprigs.